Monday, February 14, 2011

Physio

I'm heading to Edmonton this weekend for the Tour de Bloc local competition; once again, I will be in the open category.

I'm curious what the competition there will be like; I know who the strong climbers are in Vancouver, I know how good I am in relation to them, but I don't know that in Edmonton.

I like the U of A gym though, which has had some pretty fun problems every time I've been there. They've hosted nationals before as well, and I gather that the setup is much better for spectators than, say, the Edge, or Cliffhanger, or Beyond the Crux in Kelowna.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll make it into finals there, but it really depends on how strong the local bouldering scene is. We'll see.

Speaking of fingers, I went to see my physiotherapist again about my middle finger on the left hand. The previous injuries seem to be all gone, but in the last few weeks. a new pain has started to show up in the first joint on that finger. As usual, this worries me (not the least due to the fact that I would like to be able to compete at full strength this weekend), but after a bit of poking and prodding, Len figured that it isn't a joint issue, and that it's simply another tendon problem. He figures that I should be able to climb on it just fine if I warm it up well enough with some simple exercises.

He and I are supposed to go climbing later this week, and hopefully some time during the summer, which raises the question: How do you climb with your physiotherapist? Climbers talk about aches and pains pretty often, do I have to avoid that topic now? The etiquette escapes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment